Topic: Ten Questions
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 8, 1996 11:30 AM

W Gary Martin

Re: Ten Questions

At 5:59 PM 4/5/96, Mike Bolduan wrote:
>The recent thread dealing with why a neg times a neg
>is a positive reminded me of the following. (BTW, I really
> think the thread was aimed at the question of how do
>you EXPLAIN to beginners that a neg times a neg
> is a pos -- not really the technical (abstract algebra type)
>reason WHY.

(a) The two are not unrelated. After all, the technical proof is just a
very abstract explanation. While one would certainly not give students the
abstract proof, it may be helpful in developing useful ideas at a more
concrete level. My belief and experience is that if I don't really
understand a concept at a level appropriate for me, I am not likely to be
able to develop reasonable ideas for my students... necessary but NOT
(b) I like your ten questions! They'd be great for secondary PST's!

W. Gary Martin
Curriculum Research and Development Group
University of Hawaii

Date Subject Author
Read Ten Questions
Mike Bolduan