Topic: HS Sequencing
Replies: 44   Last Post: Apr 21, 1996 8:24 PM

MCotton@aol.com

Re: HS Sequencing

In a message dated 96-04-11 11:57:15 EDT, rng@cs.rice.edu (Ronald Goldman)
writes:

>Probably in a few decades this kind of argument will vanish as calculators
>and
>computers take over more and more of the compuational tasks. Teachers will
>then wonder why people in the 20th century wasted so many years trying to

get
>kids to develop these rote computational skill, that is, teaching them to
>perform like a machine instead of concentrating on learning concepts and
>developing mathematical creativity.

I believe you must do both! People need to learn mental math as well as
button pushing. A good mechanic has a feel for the automobile as well as the
ability to use computer diagnstics. Students need to know how to multiply and
divide so that they can internalize the number system. I am not sure rote
learning is the key, maybe they need a more varied practice rather than 50
mindless problems to be done and forgotten.

Marge Cotton

mcotton@aol.com

Date Subject Author
4/10/96