Topic: Calculators vs posters (was Re: Private Reply)
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Michael Moy (send mail to mmoy@us.oracle.com) 11-Jul-1995 0915

Eileen Abrahamson (0191enel@informns.k12.mn.us) wrote:

>>Also, simply posting a conversion chart between fractions and decimals >could
>>accomplish the same purpose.

>No, actually it would not. The students begin to recognize the "patterns
>of conversion".

Not sure if you mean that students recognize the patterns using a calculator or
via reference to a poster. Don't underestimate the power of posters! I didn't
mean to imply that simply putting up the poster would teach the child.

If you can display it on a calculator, then you can display it on a poster.

Michael Moy
mmoy@us.oracle.com