Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 08:54:35 -0500
From: Deann M Huinker <huinker@csd.uwm.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <amte@csd.uwm.edu>
Subject: Constructivist Approach

I would agree that a constructivist approach to a math methods class
must involve reflective thought, but is it about concepts and procedures
of math instruction, or should it be about children's learning and their
development of mathematical knowledge?

I think we have a dilemma in teacher education . . . we want to use
constructivist approaches ourselves (whatever they may be) to help
our students in their development of becoming teachers and we also want
them to understand how students construct knowledge of mathematics. Thus we
are dealing with the issue of constructivism at different levels:
(1) What does it mean for our own instructional approaches in a methods class?
(2) What does it mean for our prospective teachers and their instructional
approaches in an elementary/middle/secondary classroom?
(3) What does it mean for children's learning?

Dr. DeAnn Huinker email: huinker@csd.uwm.edu
Dept. of Curriculum & Instruction phone: 414-229-5467
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee fax: 414-229-4855
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413