Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 08:51:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Grace M. Burton, School of Education <BURTONG@UNCWIL.EDU>
To: ronaward@henson.cc.wwu.edu
Subject: Re: A Constructivist Approach to Math METHODS

There are many reflective activites which can be naturally included in
a math methods course -- and no doubt many math ed instructors are
using them without weven labeling them as such. I start my course out,
for example, with a math autobiography -- I've used this technique since the
mid 70's and have read about 1,000 of them by now. Students report this
is very helpful in illuminating where their ideas about how and what
should be taught come frfom.
After each of the the 5-6 brief assignments, students are asked to write
what they learned from the assignment. This also helps ME reflect on ways to
make the assignments more relevant and more appropriate for the intended
learnings.
On the final take-home exam, I ask students to list 5 wasy their thinking
about how to teach mathematics have changed, and to say what caused the
change. It's an interesting question to read.
Lots of group work and talk about what they did also give them a chance to
reflect on the course material.
I look forward to hearing from others how they encourage reflection.
Grace Burton
UNCW