From JimH@edc.org Fri Aug 4 20:19:58 1995
From: JimH@edc.org
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 95 21:21:06 EST
Encoding: 35 Text
To: huinker@csd.uwm.edu, amte@csd.uwm.edu
Subject: Re: Constructivist Approach

I think a discussion about these issues is a great idea...

I'm struck by Deann Huinker's sense that the availability of these multiple
levels in teacher education represents a *dilemma*. She wrote:

"I think we have a dilemma in teacher education . . . we want to use
constructivist approaches ourselves (whatever they may be) to help
our students in their development of becoming teachers and we also want
them to understand how students construct knowledge of mathematics. Thus we
are dealing with the issue of constructivism at different levels:
(1) What does it mean for our own instructional approaches in a methods class?
(2) What does it mean for our prospective teachers and their instructional
approaches in an elementary/middle/secondary classroom?
(3) What does it mean for children's learning?"

I see these levels as providing an opportunity to *build* on what we know about
how people learn and teach across these multiple contexts. We can look
critically at our own teaching of mathematics and of pedagogy (as well as at the

teaching of our teacher-students) as a source of data about learning and
teaching. Are we courageous enough to put our own teaching up for analysis and
collegial critique? How do we create communities of discourse in which doing so

is seen as an opportunity to grow and learn?

Also, my experience is that even practicing teachers (at least at an elementary
and middle school level--I don't have experience with secondary level teachers)
often need a more robust understanding of the *mathematics* they teach, as well
as a chance to look anew at how students learn and how their teaching can
facilitate such robust learning. Giving pre-service or in-service teachers a
chance to learn mathematics themselves provides yet another "level" of analysis
for learning about learning and teaching. Comparing their learning of
mathematics in a methods course with their math learning in other contexts can
be very thought-provoking.

Jim Hammerman
jhammerman@edc.org