Topic: Re: What Makes a "Good" Teacher "Good"
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 9, 1995 8:46 PM

Ronald A Ward

Re: What Makes a "Good" Teacher "Good"

The Annenburg Math and Science Project published a list of What Teachers
Should be Doing in an effective classroom. So, perhaps this would
provide at least one perspective on your question:

"1. Guiding students in exploring multiple solutions to any
problem;challenging students to think deeply.
2. Moving around the room to keep everyone engaged in productive work.
3. Encouraging students to raise and discuss questions about
math for which there are no textbook answers. Rather than simply answer
these questions, teachers help students to gain mathematical competence
and confidence by finding their own solutions.
4. Guiding students in making appropriate uses of manipulatives
and technology.
5. Promoting student use of inquiry and creativity. Students
are moved to higher levels of learning by pursuing alternative approaches
to solving a problem or by proposing new problems that are variations on
or extensions of a given problem.
6. Bringing a variety of learning resources, including guest
presenters, into the classroom in order to increase learning options for
all students.
7. Working with other teachers to make connections between
disciplines in order to show how math is part of other subjects that
students are studying.
8. Using assessment that focuses on problem solving and
understanding rather than on memory and speed.
9. Helping all students to explore career opportunities that use
the mathematics that they are learning."

Ron Ward/Western Washington U/Bellingham, WA 98225
ronaward@henson.cc.wwu.edu