Topic: Uncl: card game
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 21, 1995 2:29 PM

Kaidy@aol.com

Re: Uncl: card game

----------------------

JHAMMON@TULSAJC.TULSA.CC.OK.US wrote

>Li-Ping, you ask about a card game using 4 numbers and coming up
>with solutions from 1 to 24, and dice being involved.

>I believe the game you are asking about is "Number Challenge Game"
>from Kaidy Educational Resources, P.O. Box 831853, Richardson,
>TX 75083-1853 and their phone number is 1-800-365-2439. The game
>includes a set of 4 die giving equal probablities from 1 to 24. They also
>have a "Numbers Challenge Guide" with additional ideas in it.

--------------------------------

Since we were getting so many phone calls from teachers for more information
about Numbers Challenge, we decided to post a response in order to get
everybody up to speed all at once.

Numbers Challenge is a great game for mental math! Kids love playing it, and
we even hold tournaments locally where they can compete and win prizes.
Numbers Challenge meets these NCTM Standards for Teaching Math: Math as
Problem Solving, Math as Reasoning, Number & Number Relationships, Math as
Communication, Math Connections, Number Systems & Number Theory, Patterns &
Functions, Patterns & Relationships, and Computation & Estimation.

There are twenty-four cards in the game; each card has four numbers on it.
You roll the dice to give you your target number between 1 & 24, then you
add, subtract, multiply &/or divide the four numbers on a card to reach the
target number. Since the target number changes each time, and there are
twenty-four different cards, there are at least 600 challenges in each game
(including calculating to a target number of 0, for practice). This means
the kids can't just memorize the solutions.

It's been our experience that one of the most important concepts Numbers
Challenge teaches is order of operations. If you don't do multiplication &
division before addition & subtraction, your answer will be incorrect. Kids
seem to have a hard time remembering to do that, but in order to win at
Numbers Challenge, they have to obey the rules regarding order of operations.
Younger kids may not be able to figure that 3+2-4x1=1, but they can figure
that
3+2=5, 4x1=4, then 5-4=1 (final target number).

Depending on which two dice you use, your target number can be 1 to 6, 1 to
12, 1 to 18, or 1 to 24. This feature allows the game to be adapted for
beginners, intermediates, & experts. It's challenging even for adults!

If the card you draw has the numbers 1,2,3 & 4 on it, below is an example of
how you could reach each target number from 1 to 24 (remember, there are
twenty-four cards, each with a different set of four numbers):

3 + 2 - 4 x 1 = 1
4 - 3 + 2 - 1 = 2
4 + 2 - 3 x 1 = 3
4 + 3 - 2 - 1 = 4