Topic: Uncl: card game
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 21, 1995 2:29 PM

Kaidy@aol.com

Re: Uncl: card game

On 8/18, Ted Alper wrote:

>I'm also curious about the distribution of sequences on the cards. Are
>only the numbers from 1 to 4 used, but with repeats allowed? (wait,
>there are 35 of those -- and that includes some hard ones, like 1 1 1
>1). Or are larger number included? What was the basis for choosing
>which sequences would go on the cards?

Game:

There are twenty-four cards, and each card has four numbers on it. Some
examples of the cards: 1,2,3 & 4; 2,5,8 & 9; 2,3,7 & 8; 1,2,4 & 7. The
numbers on each card can be manipulated to reach every target number between
1 and 24 (actually between 0 and 24). The four-number combinations on the
cards were specifically chosen because they can reach 1 to 24. Not just any
ol' four-number combination will do!

You can also play a similar game with a decimal or a fraction and three whole
numbers. For example, use 2,3,6 and .5 to reach 1 to 24. Or use 1,3,6 and
2/3 to reach 1 to 24.

We're glad so many people have shown an interest in this educational tool.
We will be happy to respond to anyone else who has questions about the
concept.