Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 18:17:21 -0500
From: Deann M Huinker <huinker@csd.uwm.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <amte@csd.uwm.edu>
Subject: Modeling and Constructivism

I found it interesting that Tad choose to focus on the issue of "modeling"
as I have often heard my prospective elementary teachers use this term in
ways that concern me. Namely, many seem to use it as a synonym for
"showing and telling" students what to do. If this is the case, than
modeling can not be consistent with constructivist epistemology. Is it
ever acceptable to "tell" in a constructivist classroom?

Dr. DeAnn Huinker huinker@csd.uwm.edu
Dept. Curriculum & Instruction tel: 414-229-5467
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee fax: 414-229-4855
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413