Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 07:43:05 -0500
From: Tad Watanabe <tad@midget.towson.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <amte@csd.uwm.edu>
Subject: Re: Modeling and Constructivism

I would think a constructivist should be allowed to "tell" something in
classroom. After all, it is our primary means of communication. I think
what is important is the reason for telling and what we expect the other
party to react after we tell. If, like Deann's students, the
'receipients' are going to simply accept whatever we tell them as 'true'
then maybe we shouldn't tell them.

There are certain things that will never be logically deduced (what C.
Kamii, and Piaget?, calls social knowledge), like Christmas is celebrated
on December 25. I think there are informations thta we just have to
'convey' because it cannot be constructed by the knower. But, I need to
think a little more about this.

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland

PS: Speaking of the terms prospective teachers use that concerns me,
here are a few others: facilitator, active learning, teaching, and
understanding.