Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 13:11:32 -0500
From: Jeff Johnson <jeffj@mcrel.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <amte@csd.uwm.edu>
Subject: Re: Modeling and Constructivism

Sorry if I am getting off track or digressing...but this discussion is
helping me formulate my own definition of constructivism... which I think
is a good example of the construction of knowledge. Here is my current
(and brief) definition of constructivism:

"making sense out of information"

The key is whether or not there is an internal struggle...regardless of the
source or method of information delivery. Also, some knowledge can be
constructed with very little struggle...but there is still mental activity.
The issue is which environments are most likely to stimulate such
activity? I would guess that it depends on many factors, and varies for a
given topic, for a given person, for a given time, etc. Lecturing *can*
stimulate constructive activity...but construction may be more likely with
another method. For instance, I can conduct a discussion or debate within
my head to come up with a definition of constructivism. But a discussion
with other individuals may be more likely to (1) keep me engaged, (2)
result in a richer or more useful definition, (3) result in other learning
(e.g., interpersonal skills), and...any other ideas?

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Johnson jeffj@mcrel.org
Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory http://www.mcrel.org
2550 S. Parker Rd., Suite 500 303-743-5524
Aurora, CO 80014 303-337-3005 (FAX)