Topic: imaginary numbers
Replies: 55   Last Post: Jan 1, 1996 2:34 PM

Rebecca Corwin

Re: variables and numbers

Reply to: RE>>variables and numbers

I would like to reinforce Michael's comments. There is entirely too much
overgeneralization about the schools and the teachers and the professors and
the mathematicians and the Americans. We are all guilty of this, but it's
just not useful since it riles us and we spend time looking for
counterexamples, of which there are as many as examples........

Rebecca Corwin
Lesley College
Cambridge, MA
......a college........

--------------------------------------
Date: 12/6/95 10:36 AM
To: Rebecca Corwin
From: michael goldenberg
At 7:12 AM 12/6/95, Andrei TOOM wrote:
>So Mr. Rowley, a high school teacher, was interested in and could
>afford such sophisticated games ? Was it some special private school ?
>Anyway, it is interesting. I guess, nowadays there are almost no high
>school teachers interested in such philosophical games. And even if
>some teacher were interested, there would be a lot of complaints.
>Now teaching in high school caters to the lowest level of motivation.
>The result reminds of a fast food restaurant: fast and without thinking.
>Soon students will take their classes without leaving their cars. First
>window: assignment, second window: test, third window: graduation papers.
>
>Andrei Toom toom@the-college.iwctx.edu

This strikes me as gross overgeneralization based on no research data
whatsoever. I personally know a great number of high school and middle
school math teachers who are interested in philosophy, logic games, and
other related activities and subjects. And some of them are quite
successful in piquing their students' interests. As to what teaching in
high schools in America cater to IN GENERAL, I think neither I nor Andrei
are in a position to comment definitively.

At the risk of once again spitting into the wind, let me suggest that we
would all benefit from statements along the lines of "In my experience, I
have encountered a large number of high schools that remind me of a fast
food restaurant" followed, perhaps, with one or two specific examples to
support the observation; and that few of us, if any, benefit from blanket
claims about all schools, teachers, students, etc., either in this country
or elsewhere. In a country with the diversity of the United States, it is
particularly egregious to make such claims without any evidence beyond
one's personal observations. When such observations are limited to
experience gained from teaching primarily, if not exclusively, at the
college level, it seems even a greater expression of hubris (or should I
say "chutzpah"?) to do so.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Michael Paul Goldenberg
|University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
|School of Education 4002 Ypsilanti, MI 48198
|Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
|(313) 747-2244

|"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors."
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]