Topic: imaginary numbers
Replies: 55   Last Post: Jan 1, 1996 2:34 PM

W Gary Martin

Re: variables and numbers

Jack:
What I tried to suggest in my message is that it is easy to fancy
oneself an expert when one is not directly involved in the field. (as in,
"If *I* were running things...")
Clearly being in the field does not necessarily make one an expert.
However, I find it hard to take someone who is not in some way directly
involved with students seriously as an "expert" about what should be done
with students, or to feel that their opinions warrant that much attention.
Gary

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Jack Roach wrote:
> I suspect I've misunderstood Gary but his statements _suggest_ he
> recommends "leaving it to the pros." Considering their track record, I
> afraid I'm just not willing to do that. I'm unclear on "being in the
> profession" for "going on 20 [years]." While I know people who have had 20
> years of teaching experience, I also know a _few_ who have had one year
> of experience 20 times. Those in the first category welcome questions
> and discussion; those in the second shun them. I can't be sure of just
> what Gary has in mind so I hope he will choose to clarify this.
> Jack
>

> On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, W Gary Martin wrote:

> > Well folks, the enormity of this exchange is beginning to sink in. "Certain
> > People" who seemingly have an opinion on everything related to public
> > education HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE WITH IT! Perhaps such people should
> > consider the arrogance implied in this.
> > It is so easy to know what is right for OTHER PEOPLE! Having been in the
> > profession for what seems like a geometrically increasing number of years
> > (going on 20) in a variety of roles, I can say solutions may sound easy,
> > PS: The vast majority of the authors of the Standards have ACTUALLY TAUGHT!
> > Have ACTUALLY SPENT HOURS AND HOURS in mathematics classrooms! Think about
> > it, Andrei!

Date Subject Author
12/3/95
Read imaginary numbers
[...]