Topic: Re: "by type" and Problem solving
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 9, 1995 9:58 PM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04

At 6:53 PM 12/9/95, Lutemann@aol.com wrote:

>>To teach problem solving effectively teachers must place emphasis on
>>developing the child's abiltiy to reason and solve problems. Teaching

>problem
>>solving requires teachers to abandon the linear progresssion of most math
>>lessons from skill instruction to "problem soving" and create an

>environment
>>where there is interplay among reason, problem solving and skill
>development.
>>Teachers must create lessons where children can learn a variety of
>strategies
>
>Nice words, but this doesn't take into account reality. Most students need
>some instruction just to get a feel for what's going on and there is nothing
>wrong with a little dril l to make the students feel comfortable in the arena
>of problem solving.
>
>Kent

I'd like to welcome M Botula as an intelligent, articulate addition to this
list.

I'd also like to remind Mr. Lutemann that HIS reality is just that: his.
Perhaps his students warm to "a little drill"; then again, perhaps it's
merely his sense of reality that helps him to that belief. I'm not opposed
to "a little drill" but can't help but suspect that my sense of "little" in
this context is not universely shared. Why is that such a difficult notion
for some folks to entertain: each of us brings certain assumptions to the
party, but not all of us assume that ours are THE correct ones.

As to what "most" students "need": another example of gross
overgeneralization based on what I suspect is rather limited perspective. I
would have no objection to Kent (or anyone) citing specific evidence from
his teaching practice to support his perceptions. But these off-the-cuff
claims to universality don't carry much weight in my estimation.

|Michael Paul Goldenberg
|University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
|School of Education 4002 Ypsilanti, MI 48198
|Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
|(313) 747-2244

|"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors."