Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Lutemann@aol.com

Re: Word Problems-a view fr

In a message dated 95-12-15 23:04:16 EST, Rebecca_Corwin@TERC.EDU (Rebecca
Corwin) writes:

>This is a fascinating response, Kent. Could you expand it so we could get a
>better sense of your reasons? I think some of us believe it does matter.

I'm exaggerating a little here to make a point. Lately, (in our school in
particular), there has been the a lot of fuss about curriculum development.
The fact is, curriculum evolves of it's own accord if the teachers are
allowed to create courses and explore new avenues with their students.

For example, our basic math core of algebra, trig and precal is gradually
evolving into algebra, statistics and modeling, but not because some
administrators or committee sat around hand wringing about "what should we
be teaching?"

But I don't even think this is so important. If you're teaching your
students to think, you're teaching the right curriculum.

Kent