Topic: Re: lecturing
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 30, 1995 1:59 AM

John A Benson

Re: lecturing

Kevin ( and anyone else who is reading)

Ah yes, Kevin, I agree, and so have come to a new understanding about
teaching and learning from your paragraphs below. Now it seems as though I
have a problem, because I learned this new idea by "you told it to me" which
is very much like a lecture. Seems like the old paradox "this sentence is
false." Perhaps it is possilbe, in certain situations, for learning to take
place in more than one way? Otherwise , I don't understand how I could have
just learned what I just learned. :)

John Benson

>Ben, (Actually, I guess it isn't really Ben after all, but that's another
post.)
> I've just read your posting. I certainly wish that I was as
>competent a teacher as you are. It would do my ego a lot of good to
>think that I was able to impart knowledge through the spoken word. I
>remember reading the manual about handling a saw when I wanted to make
>something out of timber. The manual didn't really help me - I cut my
>hand badly. It was only when my dad came by and helped me that I
>understood what the manual was talking about.
> Obviously the above never took place. I used it to illustrate my
>firm belief that I am not the font of all knowledge and that my students
>don't learn from my lecturing but from my help whilst they are "doing".
>Regards,
>K.
>
>Kevin J. Maguire
>School of Education Telephone: 61 3 9479 2080
>La Trobe University
>Melbourne
>Victoria
>
>On Thu, 29 Jun 1995 Lutemann@aol.com wrote:
>

>> I'm totally in favor of various forms of group work and innovative teaching
>> methods. However, my feeling is, that if you are not lecturing at least 50%
>> of the time, the students aren't going to learn much.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Kent

John Benson
Evanston Township High School 715 South Boulevard
Evanston Illinois 60204 Evanston IL 60202-2907
(708) 492-5848 (708) 492-5848

Date Subject Author
6/30/95
Read Re: lecturing