Topic: Re: lecturing
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
W Gary Martin

Re: lecturing

Harv Becker writes:

>Don't you
>find it strange that when you go to a seminar on how to employ cooperative
>learning in the classroom, we are lectured to!!!

Good point, Harv. The old saw "practice what you preach" comes to mind. I
do *try* to practice what I preach in doing teacher training. This is not
always easy -- takes a lot more preparation, feel a lot less secure, not as
"efficient" (especially in a short session), on and on. BUT these are
precisely the reasons that many teachers feel uncomfortable with
cooperative learning and other "new" teaching methods.

My feeling, if teacher educators are not willing to put themselves on the
line, then they have little right to ask anyone else to. Just as with any
teaching, the means IMPLY the ends. Any reactions from teacher educators,
workshop leaders, etc.? How do we handle this? If we don't grapple with how
we can implement the "new" methods, we can't expect anyone else to do so.

Gary

PS: It's a miracle, Harv! We agreed on something! :)

W. Gary Martin 1776 University Ave.
University of Hawaii Honolulu, HI 96822
Curriculum R & D Group (808)956-9956; FAX (808)956-4984