Topic: lecturing
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 10, 1995 12:22 PM

DENNIS GELLER

Re: lecturing

>B. Becker wrote:

><Snip, snip>

>I fear the reliance upon new fangled contraptions like multi media is a lazy
>way out for both teacher and student to say that they covered a topic,
>without really exploring it in depth and with intellectual rigor.

Reminds me on a science fiction novel I read decades ago. I think it was
Frederick Pohl's "Drunkard's Walk." I don't remember the plot, but the
protagonist was a math professor at a future university where the classes were
taught over the air and were very glitzy. The discussion of drunkards's walk, I
think, had animation of a drunkard... There was also this ditty that was sung
by a chorus during a number theory lecture (also supported by animation, of
course)

Strike the twos and strike the threes
The Sieve of Erotosthenes
When the multiples sublime
The numbers that are left are prime.

---
Maybe it is the way education should go. After all, I've never forgotten it!
;-)