Topic: Re: lectures & school year
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 4, 1995 4:10 PM

Weissenburger - Jeremy S.

Re: lectures & school year

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995 MCotton@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 95-07-01 09:42:16 EDT, Kent writes:
>
> << Also, I think students go to school too long It would be better if the
> kids had four 50 min. classes a day broken up with other activities, and went
> to school 11 months a year. We're still using the factory model for schools.

> A longer school year worries me. Many of the students need summer jobs for
> financial reasons. Extending the school year might increase the number of
> students working full time and going to school. In addition, I believe that
> the experiences gained by many students during the summer are too valuable to
> eliminate.

I had discussed this a little while ago on the list. Most teachers don't
want year-long school, but the summer is just too long. Many students do
not retain info after 3 months of summer.

The buggest problem with extending the school year is logistics. Most
schools are not air-conditioned, and cannot handle students in the
dog-days of summer.

Something to think about.

--Jeremy

* Jeremy S. Weissenburger Math Teacher, Music Lover *
* *
* CptnApathy@aol.com OR jeremysw@hamlet.umd.edu *
* *
* Currently listening to: An Evening of Yes Music Plus *