Topic: Asking Questions Was Re:lecturing
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 9, 1995 8:48 PM

Eileen Abrahamson

Asking Questions Was Re:lecturing

On Sat, 8 Jul 1995, Chi-Tien Hsu wrote:

(snipped)
> at first he thought that the all American
> classmates are very smart because they are able to ask so many
> questions in the classroom, after a while that his English verbal
> comprehension improved and know exactly what the questions were asked
> in the classroom, he felt that most of his classmates were very
> stupid.

(snipped)

As a fourth grade classroom teacher, I am constantly dealing with this
issue. When is a question worth asking, and when is it just a distractor?
Students have learned at a very early age to ask questions such as "Do we
really have to do this?" "Can you tell me what to do?" "What are we going
to do after this?" etc. without taking a moment to stop and think first.
I am constantly saying to students after a question -- I am going to give
you a few minutes to think about that and if you still want me to answer I
will speak with you privately about it. , How does that question relate to
the topic at hand? Or, How will that question, if answered, increase your
understanding of the issues we are dealing with?

It takes a lot of effort to get students out of the habit of asking absurd
or irrelevant questions just to waste time and hear themselves talk.

Some students appear to believe that ANY question is worthy of time
regardless of whether it is related to the topic or not.

I agree with Chi-Tien, that students must learn to ask thoughtful
questions, not just ask questions for the sake of asking. Question posing
is an art that both teachers and students must become more skilled at.

Eileen

Eileen Abrahamson
0191enel@informns.k12.mn.us
Edw. Neill Elemetary