Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » Education » math-teach

Topic: Re: Reading something before discussing
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 16, 1995 2:04 AM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Ed Wall

Posts: 36
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Reading something before discussing
Posted: Jul 16, 1995 2:04 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

>On Sat, 15 Jul 1995, Karen Dee Michalowicz wrote:
>

>> I wonder how many people would discuss the novel War and Peace
>> having not read it (I guess this day and age we should say,
>> having not seen the movie).
>> --

>
>Based on some entries on this list, I'd guess there'd be some people
>willing to state an opinion based on the title, introduction, and what
>they think they know about the author. ;^)
>
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Michael Paul Goldenberg


While this argument does have a certain relevance the 'implied' (IMHO)
conclusion is not convincing. For example, several years ago I was doing
teaching in a part of the country where I was not known. At about 3 in the
morning I got a call from a mother demanding to know my methods and credentials.
After trading credentials back and forth it turned out that I 'won' and the
conversation ended (I later learned that this was standard operating procedure
for this person).

I am definitely NOT implying that this is the the purpose of these posts. There
is a second part to this story. After being the better qualified I decided to
take a look at the situation and determine if that actually made me right. To
make the story short I decided that perhaps I needed to consider a few more
relevant factors and adapt my methods.

I think I can appreciate Michael's feeling that some people MAY have been
posting erroneous opinions concerning the standards that MIGHT arise from
a disregard of them. However I believe

1. A careful and polite (I say this because otherwise people seem
to get sidetracked) refutation is in order for those of us
who are less familiar with the standards. Yes, some of us learn
slowly :)

2. Even those who know little about the standards can actually raise
interesting and challenging questions concerning their status as
STANDARDS and concerning their implementation.

On the other hand, I have a difficult time appreciating Karen's implication
(IMHO) that depth of knowledge determines one ability to have an fruitful
conversation. Dare I admit that I might think that someone who only saw the
movie War and Peace was quite limited in their ability to intelligently
discuss the novel :) Why I have even been know to learn from my students!

Again I really appreciate this newsgroup and the vistas people continue to
open to me. Even replying to posts I disagree with to some degree forces me
to collect my thoughts and reevaluate them.

Thanks

Ed Wall







Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.