Topic: Articulation
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jul 25, 1995 8:12 PM

Dagfinn Eggen

Re: Articulation

I am sorry to say that this is my experience here in Norway too. The
complaining starts on the top level, the university. From there on every
level are picking on those at the preceding level. The communications
between the different levels in the educational system are very bad, and if
they exsist at all they are nearly always directed such that the lower level
are supposed to provide the higher levels with certain student abilities.
But, I am sorry to say, often the best teachers are on the lowest levels and
it is at the lower levels that the teachers take the TEACHING most seriously.

Dagfinn

At 09:24 AM 12/3/95, CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU wrote:
>Ben Preddy talked about the need for articulation (teachers meeting to
>discuss what students need in order to be prepared for the next year, or
>further classes). He is SO right that we need to have this happen, teachers
>REALLY need to be meeting across grade levels to discuss the types
>of instructional strategies, curriculum, standards, etc. that we all need
>to boost the learning of our students. HOWEVER, I do not see these
>discussions as being from the higher levels TO the lower levels. His
>regular meetings with middle school teachers sounded like the founts of
>wisdom instructing the disciples. One of the saddest things that happens
>to my students is when they go to middle school and discover that their
>teachers do NOT appreciate their abilities to see problems from various
>perspectives and solve them in a variety of ways. They aren't asked
>to justify and explain their thinking, just learn the formulas and plug
>them in. I think those teachers just might have something to learn from
>my thinking and experience! We need to meet together with mutual respect
>and genuine concern for making things better for students. I'm happy to
>say that these types of meetings are beginning to occur, although I haven't
>personally been involved in any--I'm hoping they will become the norm and
>not the exception because we must all work together to make things better
>for our students. Cindy Chapman@apsicc.aps.edu

Dagfinn Eggen | Private address:
Ladehammeren videregaaende skole | BJORGAN V 2
Trondheim, NORWAY | 7125 VANVIKAN
| NORWAY
Tel: 74 85 65 59 |
Fax: 74 85 62 30