Topic: Re: meaningful standards (fwd)
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 31, 1995 1:41 AM

DoctorCHEK@aol.com

Dan Hart today wrote:

>Basing a curriculum on the specific to the general is like asking Jack
>Nicklaus to work on his game without ever going to the practice tee. And I
>wonder how many Super Bowls Joe Montana would've won without ever
>practicing
>the basics.

I wonder, too, Dan....how many people would ever consider going to get a
tooth extracted from a dentist who was given this operation as his first. A
kind of "operation of the week" type problem with no prior practice. I know
I'd rather go to a dentist who is from the "drill and kill" (PLEASE excuse
the expression!) era because I'd know he would be able to perform the
operation with his vast basic experience.

Harvey Becker

PS Please folks....I do not advocate actual drill and kill techniques....I
do not, however, shy away from drilling students when practice is necessary.
The words "drill" and "kill" do NOT have to be put in the same sentence as
so many on this list seem to believe.