Topic: Re[2]: Early Elementary programs
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 7, 1995 9:20 PM

Michelle Manes

Re[2]: Early Elementary programs

Subject: Re: Early Elementary programs
From: roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu at internet
Date: 6/5/95 6:46 PM

>I'd also be interested in hearing about newer and better stuff out there.
>I know of middle school and upper grade stuff, but not new primary
>programs.

(I am not plugging any of these; I haven't taught from any of them.
I'm simply making available some information that I have available.
All descriptions were written by the project in question, pared down
for posting.)

Here are some programs that were funded by the NSF in the same round as
many of the middle and secondary projects that you know about:

TIMS Elementary Mathematics Curriculum Project (K-6)
"TIMS is a manipulative-based mathematics curriculum with significant
experiences in science and language arts. TIMS curriculum activities
are hands-on, collaborative projects ... The teacher is encouraged to
help the children to learn to communicate mathematically, both orally
and in writing ... The major premise underlying the TIMS curriculum
is that mathematics is best learned through active involvement in
solving real problems. Science provides an ideal setting for active
learning ..."
Contact: Howard Goldberg and Phil Wagreich
Institute for Mathematics and Science Education M/C 250
University of Illinois at Chicago
840 West Taylor
Chicago, IL 60607
(312)996-2448

Cooperative Mathematics Project (K-6)
"CMP has been developing "Number Power," a cooperative problem-solving
instructional program for elementary mathematics, designed to foster
the development of students' number sense and mathematical reasoning,
enhance their ability to work together effectively and communicate
their thinking, and promote their commitment to basic social values
of fairness, responsibility, and concern for others."
Contact: Laurel Robertson
Developmental Studies Center
2000 Embarcadero, Suite 305
Oakland, CA 94606
(510)533-0213

Investigations in Number, Data, and Space (K-5)
"The major goals of this program are to:
1) offer students meaningful mathematical problems and activities
2) emphasize depth in mathematical thinking rather than exposure
to a series of fragmented topics
3) communicate mathematics content and pedagogy to teachers
4) serve as a tool for expanding the pool of mathematically
literate students"
Contact:Susan Jo Russell
TERC
2067 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02140
(617)547-0430

There is also an elementary project here at EDC, funded by IBM.
This is a technology-intesive program (it requires access to
IBM computers for use of the software, which is a major component
of the curriculum). It is called "Math and More," and is
focused on hands-on (both manipulative and technology) learning
and problem solving.
Contact: Betty Bjork
EDC
55 Chapel St.
Newton, MA 02158
(617)969-7100

Hope this is useful to someone. All typos are mine. Etc.

-michelle
--
Michelle Manes
Education Development Center, Inc.