Topic: Sketchpad and technology
Replies: 58   Last Post: Jun 24, 1995 3:44 PM

Mark Priniski

Re: Sketchpad and technology

>COVbECKERS@aol.com writes:
>
>*Convenience* sometimes depends upon problem-solving ability and the
>absence of power-outage. I recollect a visit to a local McDonald's
>several years ago at lunchtime; their computers were down. Of course,
>it was a horror show--the manager had just one hand-held calculator
>on the premises, and you can guess how competent at arithmetic kids
>of the kind you find working at McDonald's are. (McDonald's and
>other fast food chains are victims of the Peanut Principle: If you
>pay peanuts, you can only hire monkeys.)

What an interesting example...

When I was a junior in high school, I worked behind the counter at our
local McDonalds. (I eventually worked my way up to a managers position
while in college)

Now, this was in the dark ages, when the cash registers had numbers on the
keys instead of food items. The owner of our store encouraged his 'window
workers' to do all of the computation in their heads, only putting the
final totals into the cash register. (In fact, I seem to remember that he
specificly DISCOURAGED us from using the cash register as a calculator.)

I became very addept at adding prices in my head while picking up
hamburgers, fries and drinks. To this day, I credit that McDonalds owner
with my ability to estimate quickly. (BTW, I still made peanuts... even as
a manager) :)

Sorry... it has nothing to do with the discussion, but I had to share that.

Mark Priniski Pioneering Partner '93
Rib Lake High School priniski@cedar.cic.net
Rib Lake, WI 54470

Date Subject Author
[...]