Topic: Sketchpad and technology
Replies: 58   Last Post: Jun 24, 1995 3:44 PM

Sandra Pratt

Re: Sketchpad and technology

There are also several science fiction themes about societies
where technologies fail and no one knows how to fix them. One, of coarse,
is part of Asimov's Foundation series. (which goes back to
needing to know how to do some of the things that machines do. Because I
do know how to do dishes without the dishwasher and I probably can't fix
it when it breaks) Sandi Pratt

On Mon, 19 Jun 1995, DENNIS GELLER wrote:

> THese discussions remind me of two stories by Asimov, both quite to the point.
> Alsa, I don't have good references for either, but I'll bet someone does.
>
> One (I think) is called Power! Both are frequently anthologized.
>
> One is about a society where people DO use calculators for everything, and then
> one genius finds a way to make calculations with paper and pencil -- a
> procedure that always gives the same results as the calculators! Asimov makes
> it believable that this is a radical idea that nobody believes at firts, and
> has a neat (very '50s) logical consequence.
>
> The other is, I think, earlier. This is a bout a society in which people learn
> by having the knowledge placed right into their brains. Once at about 6, you
> learn how to read. Later, you get a profession "injected" -- the profession is
> chosen based on what your brain is best able to absorb. The protagonist is
> someone whose brain is untrainable. (I just realized, incidentally, that
> there's a nice subtheme about local funding for education that teachers will
> enjoy!)

Date Subject Author
6/11/95
Read Sketchpad and technology