Topic: dropped topics
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jun 23, 1995 8:15 PM

Dr. Susan Addington

Re: reading numbers

Calculators don't deal with non-terminating decimals. They truncate
them according to their own (unstated) rules, which vary
between models.

It seems to me that one of the arguments for using decimals
more and fractions less is that decimals are what appear on
(most) calculators. I have found that students tend to completely
miss the idea that there's more to the decimal expansion than they
see on the screen.

Susan Addington (addington@gallium.csusb.edu)
Math Department, California State University
San Bernardino, CA 92407
phone: (909) 880-5362 fax: (909) 880-7119
World Wide Web: http://www.math.csusb.edu/susan/home.html