Topic: reading numbers
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jun 23, 1995 10:21 PM

Weissenburger - Jeremy S.

Re: reading numbers

Time constraints have always been a problem on teachers. Although I have
been a teacher only a short time, I think most would agree that it's not
easy to fit everything in that you'd like. Part of the reason might be
the shortness of the class. For example, the school I recently taught at
had classes of only 35 minutes. Also, the school year was very short,
due to alternate schedules, as well as the face that school ended by the
last week of May.

I would suggest that schools lengthen classes, as well as the school year,
but that might not be as easy as a solution. Or is it?

I have always felt that the summer vacation should be shortened at many
schools. 2 and 1/2 to 3 months is WAY too long of a break.

If this results in a flame war about the length of the school year, then
so be it. But the bottom line is that class time is getting shorter and
shorter, due to many different reasons (half-days, etc.) that can NOT be
avoided. The amount of time we're in school is just NOT ENOUGH.

Schools in other countries have much longer schedules than us. This
might be one of the reasons why students "seem" to be so far behind.

Comments, anyone?

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995 RBECK@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU wrote:

> The time issue is significant. Most of the teachers at my elementary
> site have taken Math Solutions, Math Their Way, Math In The Minds Eye, or
> a combination of them. We come back from the courses enthusiastic and
> ready to continue the development of our math classes. We are ready to
> provide environments where students can explore mathematics and develop
> personal algorithms. Then a month of school goes by and we start feeling
> that "curricular pressure" and realize that we will NEVER cover all the
> topics in the CURRICULUM GUIDE for our grade level. We find ourselves
> pulling back and feeling guilty about it.
>
> It is frustrating to feel in your heart and know in your brain that the
> concepts learned through exploration and experience will be better
> understood and longer remembered than those memorized from a book or
> teacher lecture and yet see that too many students need more time to come
> to that understanding than the school year allows. (If that isn't a run
> on sentence what is? 8-))
>
> So, how do we find a compromise?
>
> Rosemary beck

* Jeremy S. Weissenburger Math Teacher, Music Lover *
* *
* CptnApathy@aol.com OR jeremysw@hamlet.umd.edu *
* *
* Currently listening to: Yes, "Relayer" *