Topic: reading numbers
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jun 23, 1995 10:21 PM

Weissenburger - Jeremy S.

Re: length of school day or year

On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Ronald A Ward wrote:

> It isn't "length of the school year" or "length of the school day" that is
> the critical factor. It is how much time students actually spend "doing
> mathematics" that counts (and the kind of math activities in which they
> engage). It has been awhile since I read the SIMS report, but my
> recollection is that U.S. students already spend MUCH MORE TIME "in math
> class" during a year than students in most countries in that study.

Yes, but do they have a two-month break in the middle of their school year?
Perhaps we do have more "math time," but perhaps theirs is more
consistent , as to the "bursts" of information we give them.

I guess my other question is, what are the students in other countries
doing differently than in ours?

It gets difficult to compare kids from different countries, however, since
there are many different factors we have to take into account. Such as
the country's work ethic, parental guidance/support, etc.

--Jeremy

* Jeremy S. Weissenburger Math Teacher, Music Lover *
* *
* CptnApathy@aol.com OR jeremysw@hamlet.umd.edu *
* *
* Currently listening to: Charlie Parker, "Charlie Parker" *