Topic: re: diagramming
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Michael Moy (send mail to mmoy@us.oracle.com) 11-Jul-1995 0915

re: diagramming

>I have a serious question, one I hope people will not not view as cynical, but
>rather as inquisitive. I am the one who fails to see what use diagramming
>sentences serves. Some of you have supported it. I sincerely want to
>understand to what purpose it exists. Some of my colleagues have supported it
>as necessary in the understanding of languages. I can certainly understand
>that and as such it should perhaps be included in a study of languages, in whose
>context it might make more sense; but is it necessary to develop the ability
>to write?

I don't believe that diagramming sentences is required to write; just as
understanding a process isn't required to use the process.

>How do you see that it has served you as an adult?

I never learned this in any language arts class, but I did read computer
science books in high school. There I learned about BNF (Backus-Nauer Format)
and that this was a universal format for describing computer languages. It can
also be used to show the process for evaluating algebraic expressions which
could be used in a mathematics class. This could be taught in a unit that deals
with algorithms and recursions.

I currently work as an engineer on a language compiler and have to deal with
diagramming on a regular basis.

>Bob

If there is a better place (mailing list) to discuss this, please let us know.

Michael Moy
Oracle SQL Engineering
mmoy@us.oracle.com

Comments here don't reflect those of Oracle Corporation