Topic: Re: length of school day or year
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Eileen Abrahamson

Re: length of school day or year

Jeremy W. wrote:
--Snipped --
>Out of curiosity, what is the ideal class size in other countries? Isn't
>the class size in the US between 10 and 15? I might be wrong, though...

With special funding our first grade classrooms will have 20 students per
classroom, the rest of the grades have between 27 and 32 students per
classroom. (This includes kindergarten, where I had two sections of 32
students for two years.)

--snipped --
>But the bottom line is that I think the summer
>breaks can be shortened by at least a month. I'm not suggesting year-round
>schooling, but the break is just too long.

I agree, it is high time we begin to schedule schooling with respect for
what would be most effective for learning, rather than what is most
economically lucrative for the vacation industry. (The state of Minnesota
prohibits the starting of school before Labor Day because of the economic
cost to the tourist industry when school begins before Labor Day.)

Eileen

Eileen Abrahamson
0191enel@informns.k12.mn.us
Edw. Neill Elemetary