Topic: Fwd: Re: lecturing
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
CWilkins@aol.com

Fwd: Re: lecturing

I have been following the thread on cooperative learning with interest, but
this is the first time I've been prompted to reply.

I've been using cooperative learning in my math classes (pre-algebra and alg
I) for 4 years, and every year I use less and less lecture. I've discovered
that, with the use of well chosen and planned activities, I can get my
students to discover 75 to 90% of the material for a unit (this is definitely
guided discovery, with the teacher inserting several leading questions and
comments throughout the process). Once the activities are completed and the
students have written their reports on their findings, I lecture. The
lecture rarely lasts more than 2 days (of a three week unit) and I use it to
pull together the threads of their discoveries and to fill in any missing
details. The next few days are for skill practice, and we constantly refer
back to the activities whenever procedural questions arise (which is often).
My tests are a combination of review (once we meet a topic, we never ignore
it), skills (i.e. computation) and extended reply (often in the form of a
take-home question requiring extra effort, research or application, and yes,
parents, siblings and friends do help the student complete this part). In a
unit that takes 3 weeks, I'll spend 6 - 8 days in exploring the topic through
projects and cooperative investigations, 2 days lecturing, 3 - 4 days
practicing the skills, 1 day reviewing and 1 day testing. Each year, my
students' scores on the end-of-year algebra test (mandated and given by the
state) have increased, so I do not feel that the loss of lecture time has had
a negative effect on their learning.

Cindy Wilkins, PhD
Northwest Rankin Attendance Center
Mississippi