Topic: Re: abstraction
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: abstraction

At 7:06 PM 10/12/95, Andrei TOOM wrote:

>Yes, the Standards documents give impression that they are written
>as a protest against something. But this is a silly and confused protest.
>Like in the Russian anecdote: ``Under capitalism man exploits man,
>but under communism it is the other way round''.
>
>I cannot imagine that such an immature confusion can support
>good education. Honestly, Judy, you should admit that any
>more or less competent mathematician (including you and me,
>for example) can write a better text. The reason why we don't
>do it is that it is difficult to write a really good text.
>And we are not so silly that to publish something just
>because it is better than these childish `Standards'.
>
>Andrei Toom toom@the-college.iwctx.edu

For those who think we foolish Americans are the only ones writing
"childish" curriculum reform documents, you might like to check out what
those silly Dutch folks are up to. We had the pleasure of hosting a group
of mathematics educators from Holland who have written a set of standards
for training elementary mathematics teachers that would no doubt inspire
outpourings of bile and ridicule from certain quarters. Looks like America
isn't the only country headed down the road to disaster!

|Michael Paul Goldenberg
|University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
|School of Education 4002 Ypsilanti, MI 48198
|Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
|(313) 747-2244

|"Truth is a mobile army of metaphors."