Topic: Re: Purpose of this list - name change?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 21, 1995 9:16 PM

Annie Fetter

DORSDUNHAM@aol.com wrote:

>I would like to have this issue clarified. If the sole purpose of this list
>is to discuss the Standards, then I will take my questions elsewhere. If
>this list has a more general purpose of creating a forum for mathematics
>teachers and others to discuss mathematics education in more general or
>specific terms, then we need to know that.

Perhaps the name and mission of the list continues to mislead. While I
continue to harbor the belief that we might talk about the Standards, it
does seem to be a general math ed list. If that's what folks want, that's
fine. Perhaps we should change the name or at least the welcome message.

Which brings me to a larger issue - the NCTM (the actual organization) is
beginning their online efforts, and has asked us if we'd be willing to
change the name of this list (presumably so that they can have the name).
We should think about the scope we really want this list to have, and think
about alternative names that might be appropriate.

A few tips for ways we can keep the discussion on track and valuable,
regardless of the topic upon which we choose to focus:

Whie I have not read all of the "current" discussion topic (the one that
has yielded about 80 messages since Thursday), I find it hard to believe
that those 80 messages several of the people posting have not repeated
themselves just a bit. Please try the following: First, edit out the
parts of the message you're reponsding to which isn't crucial - assume that
people who are reading your message have been reading along, so just leave
a couple lines as a cue. This makes messages seem less daunting and it's
easier to actually figure out what you're trying to say. DON'T add two
lines to a seventy line post and post all seventy-two lines. Second, take
the time in the beginning to state your position thoroughly and clearly,
and then sit on your hands for a day. Unless someone has grossly misread
your post/opinion/stance, let some discussion happen before you leap in
again - there will be more than one thing you want to reply to anyway.
Repeating your position over and over will NOT win you more converts. It
is more likely to cause people to ignore your posts entirely. Stating it
clearly will have much more of an impact. You'll have to trust me on this.

So think about the purpose of this list and possible names. Feel free to
write to me personally or to post to the list. If you are posting to the
list, please use the subject line of "nctm-l future", so we'll know what
it's about (I know, I didn't, but you should know how to change the subject
in your mail program anyway, and this might be a good time to learn).

-Annie