Topic: Re: real world nonsense
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 21, 1995 1:32 PM

Lutemann@aol.com

Re: real world nonsense

In a message dated 95-11-20 21:31:21 EST, mikegold@umich.edu (michael
goldenberg) writes:

>>This is true. Students can be turned on by interesting problems, but
>>virtually none care if the problem has real world applications. To a 16

>year
>>old, the real world is getting a date, not defective light bulbs.
>>
>>Kent

>So what would you conclude from this observation, Kent? Ignore student
>interests, or take advantage of it to construct problems that take their
>interests into account without sacrificing mathematical depth and meaning?

Mike, you should read what I wrote. I think that you should give students
problems that are at an advantageous level of difficulty. The real world
aspect is irrelevant.

Kent