Topic: Re: Are humans...(a better way to teach stats?) (fd) (fwd)
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Lutemann@aol.com

Re: Are humans...(a better way to teach stats?) (fd) (fwd)

In a message dated 95-11-24 02:07:59 EST, toom@the-college.iwctx.edu (Andrei
TOOM) writes:

>I do a lot of construction projects in my 9th grade science class, but I
>can't use too much math - they don't know much. I can't teach Newtonian
>physics at the beginning of the year because 50% of the class can't
>solve w=(f)(d) for w. Probably 70% can't solve for f. I used to teach
>simple algebra, but the math people have adopted a new algebra book that
>"carefully guides students from the concrete to the abstract" with
>manipulatives, and they got cranky about me disturbing the guidance.
>The kids I have are bright, eager to learn, and excited about the
>projects we do, but I am crippled by their lack of math. They shrivel
>when I intone "It's directly proportional...". This week I am
>trying to show how lengthening the snap bar on the mousetrap will affect
>the amount of force and the speed of release that it delivers. These
>cars race in three weeks. My room is full of activity. Will the math
>teachers work with me on this? Heavens, no... it would disrupt the
>sequence.

This is typical of these theoretical reformers. At our school,everyone takes
three terms of physics. When I design my syllabus, I go to the physics and
chemistry teachers (who teach real "real world" problems) and ask what math
they want me to teach.

Kent