Topic: Re:
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Lou Talman

Re:

Gary Martin wrote:

> This is in response to some things that have been said, or not said, on
> this list over the past while. Gary
> ==================
> Is it too much to ask to look at a child and see the potential
> instead of the deficit?

It is too little to ask to look at a child and see only the potential,
and never the deficit.

> Is it too much to ask to look at a child and believe that he or
> she is capable of great things?

It is too little to ask to look at a child and presume that he or she
will accomplish great things without hard work.

> Is it too much to ask to look at a child's differences and see
> opportunities for creativity instead of a threat?

It is too little to ask to look at a child's differences and not see
the humanity that we share.

> Is it too much to ask to look at the child's world as they see it,
> not demand they see our world?

It is too little to ask to look at the child's world as they (sic) see it,

and not demand that the child grow into our world.

> Is it too much to ask to give each child every opportunity to
> show us their best, no matter what that may be?

It is too little to ask to give each child every opportunity to show
us their (sic) best without giving that child some measure of where that
best stands in relation to others' bests.

> Is it too much to ask to look at a child who is struggling, with
> hope and expectation, not condemnation?

It is too little to ask to look with hope and expectation at a child who
is struggling and not offer meaningful help.

> Is it too much to ask to remember that each child is different
> and may be nothing at all like us?

It is too little to ask to remember that each child is different and may
be nothing at all like us without remembering that communication requires
discipline and effort on both sides.

> Is it too much to ask to give each child every chance to succeed
> and not slam the door in their faces?

It is too little to ask to give each child every chance to succeed if one
does not then also ask the child to be responsible for failure.

> It seems that for some of us these things ARE too much to ask.
> It seems that we would rather engage in blaming,
> blaming last year's teacher for not covering the material,

What if last year's teacher didn't cover the material?

> blaming the administration for not being strict enough,

What if the administration isn't strict enough?

> blaming the Standards for being ambiguous,

What if the Standards are ambiguous?

> blaming parents for not being responsible,

What if parents aren't responsible?

> blaming the community for not being involved,

What if the community isn't involved?

> blaming a cultural group's value system,

What if a cultural group's value system doesn't support education very
well?

> and most of all,
> blaming the child's unwillingness to learn.

And, most of all, what if the child is unwilling to learn?

> I believe it is time that we get past blaming.

Then why are you blaming?

> We need to start focusing on the things that WE can do for ALL of our

> students.

Because, as you have pointed out, "each child is different", it may be
that there is nothing that any one (let alone all) of us "can do for ALL
of our students".

--Lou Talman