Topic: Lou Talman & Gary MArtin
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu

Lou Talman & Gary MArtin

>Lou Talman wrote many things in response to Gary Martin, but:
>
>***

>> Is it too much to ask to look at the child's world as they see it,
>> not demand they see our world?

>It is too little to ask to look at the child's world as they (sic) see it,
>
>and not demand that the child grow into our world.
>***
>
>This is the one thing Lou wrote that I disagree with. Why do you assume "our
>world" is the correct one? Frankly, I'm very happy that I did NOT grow into
>any of my teachers' worlds; I feel that I grew beyond it in many ways (and
>perhaps simply outside of it in many others).
>
>I don't believe I see things in the way my teachers did, or perhaps that I
>ever did, and if I were limited to that perspective I do not doubt that I
>would have less to give to the world and the people around me than I do now.
>
>Do you?
>

>Eric E. Karnowski

Sure, but let's agree that a child needs to grow into an adult world,
surely. It may not be our world, but it needs to have aspects of
discipline, focus, interest in other people's ideas, and interest in the
world not immediately implicated in our own lives.

I will make this very personal. My dyslexic ADD kid would have had a much
happier time in school if in the early years when we were begging for help
his teachers hadn't romanticized children, and forgotten that a child's
ultimate destiny (barring tragedy) is to become an adult.

Judy Roitman, Math, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, 913-864-4630