From chsu@pppl.gov Sun Oct 29 12:05:15 1995
From: Chi-Tien Hsu <chsu@pppl.gov>
Subject: Re: Graphing Calculators
To: roitman@oberon.math.ukans.edu (Judy Roitman)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 12:05:10 -0500 (EST)
Cc: chsu@pppl.gov

> Chi-Tien Hsu wrote:
>

> >When they can devide well, showing them why we need
> >to invent fraction will be "natural"..

> I believe fractions were known long before decent methods of division were
> invented. Thousands of years, in fact -- the Greeks knew quite a lot about
> rational numbers, but decent arithmetic algorithms for division had to wait
> for decent notation.
> Judy Roitman, Math, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66049, 913-864-4630

Judy:

Now, when we write paper, do we always write those sequences in accordance with
how we originally were deriving? NO! We wrote it in a way that those unorganized
thought, which has too many personal, accidental thought patterns, be put into
a logical flow in a much well organized way. Why? because it
becomes more "natural" for readers.

Similar here.

Geometrical realization of fraction of course can be done without division,
however, it does not yet give fruitful arithematic meaning. I welcome
demonstration of geometrical meaning of fraction way before division without
but to save students' limitted time in school, not too long before they are
ready to do the real fraction arithematic.
IMHO
.
Chi-Tien