Topic: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Replies: 46   Last Post: Jun 7, 2001 1:19 PM

Victor Steinbok

Re: Two Column Proof (was: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions)

At 10:33 PM -0400 5/30/01, Haim wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
> As with the discussion on long division, some months ago, I find
>the longer the discussion goes on, the less I understand.
>
> I always understood the two column proof to be a pedagogical
>device, much like training wheels on a bicycle. Some children need
>training wheels longer than others, a few children don't need them at
>all, most children benefit from having them for some period of time
>early in their bicycle riding experience.
>
> Is someone asserting something else about the two column proof?

When the pedagogical device become the goal in itself, as is the case
with two-column proofs and a few other arcane topics, it's the school
equivalent of going 90 mph in 1st gear--you might pull it off once
and for a short period of time, but you will burn the transmission
and the engine.

Wayne channelling for Barry Simon is certainly asserting something
quite different from what you describe--just look at his complaint
against Lou Talman.

VS-)

Date Subject Author
5/25/01
Read Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Wayne Bishop
5/25/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Michael Goldenberg
5/25/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Wayne Bishop
5/25/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Michael Goldenberg
5/29/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Joshua Zucker aka Dr. Schwa
5/25/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Deirdre Collins
5/25/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Lawrence Brown
5/26/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Wayne Bishop
5/26/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Haim
5/26/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Michael Paul Goldenberg
5/26/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Haim
5/27/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Michael Paul Goldenberg
5/27/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Haim
5/27/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Michael Paul Goldenberg
5/28/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Haim
5/29/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Wayne Bishop
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Osher Doctorow
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Michael Paul Goldenberg
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Wayne Bishop
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Michael Goldenberg
5/30/01
Read Willow Run School District and Saxon Math
Michael Goldenberg
5/30/01
Read Re: Willow Run School District and Saxon Math
Guy Brandenburg
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Wayne Bishop
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
Victor Steinbok
5/30/01
Read Proof in Precollegiate Mathematics
Wayne Bishop
5/30/01
Read Re: Proof in Precollegiate Mathematics
Michael Goldenberg
5/30/01
Read Re: Proof in Precollegiate Mathematics
Wayne Bishop
5/30/01
Read Re: Proof in Precollegiate Mathematics
Michael Goldenberg
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
5/30/01
Read Re: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
5/30/01
Read Two Column Proof (was: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions)
Haim
5/30/01
Read Re: Two Column Proof (was: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions)
Joshua Zucker aka Dr. Schwa
5/31/01
Read Re: Two Column Proof (was: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions)
Osher Doctorow
5/31/01
Read Re: Two Column Proof (was: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions)
Osher Doctorow
6/1/01
Read Two Column Proof
Haim
6/1/01
Read Re: Two Column Proof
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
6/1/01
Read Two Column Proof
Haim
5/31/01
Read Re: Two Column Proof (was: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions)
Victor Steinbok
6/1/01
Read Two Column Proof
Haim
5/31/01
Read Re: Two Column Proof (was: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions)
Wayne Bishop
5/31/01
Read Re: Two Column Proof (was: Algebra/Geometry Text Suggestions)
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
6/1/01
Read Two Column Proof
Haim