Topic: New York Times on the Levy Commission Report
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 31, 2001 11:12 AM

Victor Steinbok

Re: New York Times on the Levy Commission Report

At 6:34 AM -0700 5/31/01, Wayne Bishop wrote:
>May 31, 2001
>
>Panel Urges Second Track for Math
>
>By ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS

The usual unbiased reporting from Ms. Hartocoullis.

>"How will we select which children in high school are eligible for the
>reform?" said Elizabeth Carson, a leader of that opposition and the
>mother of an eighth-grade boy. She said it was "racist, it is
>classist, it is appalling" not to give all students the best courses.

Carson sounds like Bishop East, only dumber with not even the sorry
mathematical credentials of Bishop. "If I don't agree with it, it
must be racist." So much for "choice" of programs... Of course, since
Carson is Hartocollis's "source" on much of what she writes on math
education, is it any surprise that a pointless tribute to the
fearless leader is incongruously attached at the bottom of the essay?
Carson was also the source on the idiotic work by Carl Campanile in
the NY Post a month ago. In case there is any doubt as to who is
pushing the term "constructivist math", compare the articles that
mention Carson--you'll find a common thread. I wonder if Carson has a
Canadian connection.

VS-)