Topic: Stop Testing Children
Replies: 35   Last Post: Dec 12, 2001 6:07 AM

Steve Cottrell

Re: stop testing children

From: Haim <hpipik@netzero.net>
Date sent: 17 Oct 01 13:35:24 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: stop testing children
To: math-teach@mathforum.org

> Subject: stop testing children
> Author: mattsmom <matttai@aol.com>
> Date: 17 Oct 01 08:48:36 -0400 (EDT)
>

> >The only two factors that correlate with students' performance on
> >national and local tests are:
> > parents' income
> > parents' level of education.

> Fascinating, isn't it? So, my question to you is: why have
> schools? If teachers don't correlate with education, seems to me we
> can save ourselves a pile of money.
>

> Haim

On the assumption that your question is not just rhetoric I'll venture
an answer.

We have schools because all students learn. The highest test
scores, as a group, regularly come from those with characteristics
described above. Those with greater advantages coming into the
schools were ahead when they arrived and they continue to be
ahead of students without those advantages.

Fascinating, isn't it. But really quite reasonable.

Steve Cottrell
Mathematics Supervisor K-12
Davis School District
P.O. Box 588