Topic: Re: Learning the BASIS for Advanced Placement Courses
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Domenico Rosa

On 8 Jun 04 07:19:53 -0400 (EDT), Pam wrote:

>http://www.bridges4kids.org/articles/5-04/WashPost5-25-04.html#top
>
>Learning the BASIS for Advanced Placement Courses
>by Jay Mathews, Washington Post, May 25, 2004
>For more articles like this visit
>http://www.bridges4kids.org

[snip]

>The shock came when she enrolled the child in a public
>school in Scottsdale, Ariz., for sixth grade, and discovered that
>typical American middle schools, even in affluent communities like
>Scottsdale, do not require that students learn much.
>
>"They were going to study a whale for awhile and then a volcano," said
>Michael Block. To Olga, the program did not make any sense at all.

This is indicative of how pseudo-educators have so thoroughly demolished
the traditional curriculum in the U.S. For example, when I was in sixth
grade our history book contained topics similar to those posted at:

http://mathforum.org/epigone/math-teach/zhangsmorbun/

It is possible to have a relatively sound curriculum without the AP and
other testing rackets.

Dom Rosa

------- End of Forwarded Message