Topic: Learning to Learn
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 15, 1997 8:06 AM

Jack Rotman

Re: Learning to Learn

Mieke van Groenestijn on numeracy@world.std.com wrote:

> Jack Rotman wrote:

> > Mieke:
> > Thanks for the further reply. I'll just add a little.

> > > When we talk about 'learning to learn' then people also must know WHY
> > > and HOW and for WHAT. Learning to learn is not meant as a skill in its
> > > own.

> > We have an honest difference of opinion of the "learning to learn"
> > skill; to me, I'd place this towards the top of the priorities in each
> > of my courses.
> >

> Jack,
>
> I am not sure whether we have an 'honest difference of opinion'.
> We didn't explain much, yet.
> In my courses (and in our whole institute of Higher Education) Learning
> to Learn is priority number one too, but what I meant to say is that
> 'Learning to learn' is not a goal in its own.

Actually, we DO have an honest difference of opinion; "learning to
learn" is a goal in its own right (in my view) -- our students (and all
of us) need to develop a stronger, richer set of learning skills as well
as a attitude that supports learning.

> I think that we (teachers, trainers, lecturers, etc.) don't have the
> right to work at difficult (math) issues, of which the 'why' is unclear
> for (adult) students, with the implicite goal of: that's good for their
> 'learning to learn'-process and more of such general 'vague' skills.
>
> Learning to learn is a very important topic in the framework of
> 'Lifelong Learning' and as it is the European year of Lifelong Learning
> now (1997), much attention has being paid to 'learning to learn' skills
> in European countries nowadays. People must also be able to learn in
> learning situations without any teacher because in the near future many
> teaching-tasks will be taken over by ICT-means and other 'things'.

What is "ICT"??

> That is why I said: people must know WHY and HOW and FOR WHAT! And in my
> opinion this should concern all (!!) students, whatever what level.
>
> And I agree Lynne's note that adults should not simply replicate their
> childhood experiences in
> school... They need to develop skills for 'self-directing-learning'.
>
> Mieke

Thanks.
Jack
--