The Math Forum

Topic: ATTENTION GURUS: Hard integral -- HELP!!
Replies: 13   Last Post: Mar 16, 1997 6:59 PM

Jim Carr

Re: ATTENTION GURUS: Hard integral -- HELP!!

infidel@cyllene.uwa.edu.au (John Wojdylo) writes:

>The following definite integral ...
>Note that a closed form expression for the other integral that arises in
>this problem, ...
>is given by integral 3.462 (1.) of Gradshteyn and Ryzhik (1980).

One suggestion, which worked for a nasty one we encountered, is to
look at the reference cited in the Russian tables and look up that
book, and perhaps its predecessor. A lot of those integrals come
from huge collections assembled by various groups and G+R select
some of those (as is immediately obvious from the referenced eqn
numbers). In turn, the Amsterdam collection I looked up (which
had what I needed) mentioned in the preface that this new edition
included N new integrals that replaced N others that were not as
interesting to them any more!

Many of these integrals are themselves series or other integrals,
but in some cases the new integral is really easy to do numerically
compared to the original. In other cases, and yours might be one,
recasting it so it can be done as a gaussian quadrature might be
faster to evaluate than the expression for the integral.

--
James A. Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu> | "Whatever."
http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~jac/ |