Topic: Q > rare matrix implementation?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 18, 1997 11:34 AM

neubert@mentor.cup.edu

Re: Q > rare matrix implementation?

In article <5il26l$8e3$10@halon.vggas.com>, JYoungman@vggas.com (James Youngman) writes:
>In article <ptcg1wzfc3y.fsf@hammer.thor.cam.ac.uk>, ey200@thor.cam.ac.uk
>says...
>

>>I'm afraid I'm not 100% sure what you mean. I assume you want to know
>>how to implement sparse matrices (ones where only a few elements are
>>non-zero). I'd suggest you look in a numerical analysis book, such as
>>"Numerical Recipes in C" [...]

>Looking at "NR in C" really isn't a bad idea. The bad idea is reading it, or
>worse, using its coding style :-)

Are there any books using Pascal (or even Borland's Delphi) to code
numerical analysis algorithms? I realize Pascal is not usually thought
of in this vein (over Fortran, C/C++, etc), but rather as a "learning"
language. That is actually how it would be used here. The person
using it would be a gifted high school student in an AP Computer Class.
Yes, AP Exam uses Pascal for one more year (next year) then moves to
C. Personally, I was hoping for Smaltalk, but that is another story
altogether.

If you can cite any such sources, please respond to me directly since
I do not read this newsgroup.

John Neubert
neubert@cup.edu