Topic: The Taxonomy of Mathematics
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 7, 1999 10:53 PM

Peter Percival

Re: The Taxonomy of Mathematics

Paul M. Johnson wrote:
<snip>

> But however this may work as a classification, it isn't the structure
> that I'm looking for. Foundations (math. logic, set theory, etc.)
> couldn't possibly be a branch at the same level as these others. And a
> <snip>
> This is really an old-fashioned project. I had assumed that there must
> have been some systematizers who had worked on this, even if one had to

<snip>

Maybe you will find (the start of) what you're looking for in Whitehead &
Russell "Principia Mathematica" which attempted to derive mathematics from
logic; or Bourbaki "Elements of Mathematics", see the "Contents of The
Elements of Mathematics Series" at the start of any of the many volumes.