Topic: IMSL error in CVF
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 13, 2001 4:16 PM

Dave Seaman

Re: IMSL error in CVF

In article <3BA0FDA6.DF79620C@263.net>, Dale <lidale@263.net> wrote:

>I met the following error message when using the routine DBVPFD if the
>IMSL library to solve an
>ODE system. I looked at the help file but can not find what it is.
>Anyone has some idea? The NINTV is not an argument of DBVPFD.

>Thanks

>Dale
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>*** TERMINAL ERROR 1 from DPPDER. The number of intervals must be at
>least
>*** 1 while NINTV = -1 is given.
> Here is a traceback of subprogram calls in reverse order:
> Routine name Error type Error code
> ------------ ---------- ----------
> DPPDER 5 1 (Called
>internally
> DCSVAL 0 0
> DB2PFD 0 0 (Called
>internally
> DBVPFD 0 0
> USER 0 0
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The traceback is telling you that DBVPFD called DB2PFD internally. This
eventually led to a call to DCSVAL, perhaps from one of your callback
routines. Are you using DCSVAL to evaluate the derivatives that are
required by DBVPFD? DCSVAL then called DPPDER internally, which is where
the error was detected. If you look up CSVAL/DCSVAL and PPDER/DPPDER in
the chapter on Interpolation and Approximation, you will find that these
routines compute cubic splines and their derivatives, and each of them
has an argument called NINTV representing the number of polynomial pieces
to be used in the spline approximation. The error message says there
should be at least one interval.

It appears that DCSVAL is being called from your code. You should
probably check to see what value is being passed for NINTV.

--
Dave Seaman dseaman@purdue.edu
Amnesty International calls for new trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal

Date Subject Author
9/13/01
Read IMSL error in CVF
Dale