Topic: Nine Days, 14 Teams, No Doubles, How?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 29, 1999 9:27 AM

Chuck Cadman

Re: Nine Days, 14 Teams, No Doubles, How?

Paul Jensen wrote in message <7vbjf9$a47$1@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
>Someone says it is possible to have no double match-ups in a nine-day,
>14-team league. I say it is possible in theory, but I do not see a

solution,
>or the "statistical chart" the other guys speaks of.
>
>A round robin will work for seven days, after then, what? How do I
>manipulate the round robin into having additional match-ups that have not
>already taken place? Or is there a better statistical format?

There is actually a way to do this for 13 days. Here's one way. On the kth
day, pair teams a and b if a+b = k (mod 13), a<14, b<14. Team 14 is then
paired with the team a which satisfies 2*a = k (mod 13). This is a general
formula which works for an arbitrary number of teams.

Chuck Cadman